Great Recipes for SummerMay 27, 2021
Summers are meant for barbequing especially over the weekends! We found some great recipes ranging from savory burgers to mouth-watering desserts from our friends at The Spice & Tea Exchange and Whole Foods Market
The Perfect Burger from Whole Foods Market
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt and ground black pepper
- 4 whole-grain hamburger buns
- 4 leaves romaine or green leaf lettuce
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese 4 (4 ounces) fresh beef burger patties
- Prepare grill for medium cooking
- Season each burger patty with salt and pepper
- Grill burgers to desired doneness; about 4 to 6 minutes per side
- Add cheese as soon as you flip to the second side
- Grill buns until lightly toasted
- Arrange burgers on buns with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions
- Serve and enjoy!
Caribbean Chicken Kebabs from The Spice & Tea Exchange
- 2 teaspoons Matanzas Chili Spice Blend
- 1 tablespoon Jamaican Jerk Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon Kahuna Garlic Salt Spice Blend
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 6 to 8 kebab skewers
- 3 cups any combination- 1 1/2 chunks of pineapple, 1/2 inch thick zucchini, red & green bell peppers, and onions
- Whisk 1/3 cup oil, Matanzas Chili Spice Blend, Jamaican Jerk Spice Blend, parsley, and orange juice in a small bowl, until fully combined
- Transfer marinade to a large zipper-lock bag. Add chicken, seal, and place in refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours
- Preheat grill
- Combine pineapple, vegetables, and 2 tablespoons of oil in a large bowl. Add the Kahuna Garlic Salt Spice blend, and toss the fully combine
- Assemble kebabs by threading and alternating chicken, pineapple, and vegetable chunks onto kebabs. Discard the bag with marinate and wash hands and surfaces thoroughly after handling raw poultry
- Grill, turning kebabs 1/4 turn after every 2 minutes. Remove when chicken is fully cooked through and registers 165°F for white, and 175°F for dark meat
Salt & Vinegar Fried Chicken from The Spice & Tea Exchange
- 4 tablespoons Salt & Vinegar Spice Blend
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Aioli Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon Dill Weed
- 1-quart buttermilk
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 6 to 8 drumsticks (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 quarts of vegetable or peanut oil, for deep frying
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Combine 2 tablespoons of Salt & Vinegar Spice Blend, buttermilk, lemon juice, and eggs into a large bowl.
- Place the chicken drumsticks into the bowl and carefully transfer them to the refrigerator. Let marinate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight
- Remove the drumsticks from the bowl and transfer to a clean work surface lined with paper towels
- Set up a dredging station. Add flour, cornmeal, and remaining Salt & Vinegar Spice Blend into a bowl and whisk to combine; set aside. Arrange workspace for a wire rack over a baking sheet
- Working with 1 piece of chicken at a time, carefully coat each drumstick in the flour mixture and make sure to coat the chicken generously and evenly
- Place the coated chicken on the rack and repeat dredging the remaining chicken. Set aside at room temperature for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes while you set up for frying
- Place oil in a large Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat until oil is 350° F, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, discard the remaining marinade and line another baking sheet with paper towels and a second wire cooling rack; this will be your cooling station
- Place 3 pieces of chicken in the oil carefully and fry, using tongs to rotate the pieces every 3-4 minutes and adjusting the heat as needed to maintain 350°F, until golden-brown with an internal temperature of 165°F (check by inserting a probe thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken without touching the bone), 12 to 15 minutes
- Transfer the chicken to the cooling rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes, sprinkle additional Salt & Vinegar Spice Blend as desired to fried drumsticks while still hot
- Continue the process with the remaining drumsticks. Serve once cooled
To Make the Garlic Aioli Dressing:
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon, parsley, Garlic Aioli Spice Blend, and Dill Weed into a small bowl and whisk until combined
- Serve as a dipping sauce with fried chicken
Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad from Whole Foods Market
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashew pieces (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 2 pitted dates (about 1 1/2 ounces), roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- 11 ounces blueberries
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh min
- Put cashews into a large bowl, cover with water, and set aside at room temperature to let soak for 4 hours or overnight; drain well.
- Transfer to a food processor, and add dates, vanilla, and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water and purée until smooth.
- In a large serving bowl, toss together strawberries, blueberries, and mint.
- Serve with cashew cream.
Grilled Strawberry Cobbler with Fresh Thyme from Whole Foods Market
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds strawberries, halved
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, divided
- 1 (16.0-ounce) package biscuit dough (contains 8 biscuits)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Prepare a grill for medium heat cooking.
- In a large bowl, toss together strawberries, 1/4 cup of the sugar, flour and thyme.
- Transfer to a well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet and spread out evenly.
- Arrange biscuits over strawberries and lightly brush with water.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and cover skillet tightly with foil.
- Place on the grill, cover the grill, and cook until juices are bubbling and biscuits are puffed, about 15 minutes.
- Carefully uncover the skillet (the foil may stick a bit, so remove it slowly), close the grill lid, and continue to cook until biscuits are cooked through and strawberries are very soft, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Alternatively, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place skillet on a baking sheet and bake, uncovered, until strawberries are juicy and biscuits are golden brown, about 45 minutes; tent biscuits with foil if they begin to get too dark.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.