Cooking up July the 4thJune 23, 2020
The 4th of July is almost upon us and that means it is time to plan your menu for your 4th of July celebration. Now July 4th, 2020 may look a tad different than previous years but the one constant is great All-American food. Fireworks are great, but it is the food that we share that creates the most memories. Food brings us together! So, let’s dish on some of our favorite July 4th recipes.
Tomato Salad With Bacon Vinaigrette courtesy of Country Living
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
- Fresh chives, chopped
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- Pour off all but 2 Tbsp. of grease.
- Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add sherry vinegar and Dijon mustard; cook, scraping up any brown bits until incorporated, approximately 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk in olive oil.
- Arrange tomatoes on a platter and drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Finally, top with bacon, blue cheese, and chives.
Bloody Mary Burgers & Homemade Ketchup courtesy of The Spice & Tea Exchange
- 2 Tbsp. of Bloody Mary Mix Spice Blend – available at The Spice & Tea Exchange
- 2 Tbsp. of Tomato Tarragon Spice Blend– available at The Spice & Tea Exchange
- 1 tsp. of Worcestershire Powder– available at The Spice & Tea Exchange
- 2 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 egg
- 1/2 cup of Panko bread crumbs
- 2 lb. of ground beef
- 2 tsp. of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. of light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. of tomato paste
- Dash of hot sauce
- 9 hamburger buns
- Mix together Bloody Mary Spice Blend, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, and Panko bread crumbs. Add ground beef and mix thoroughly. Let stand for at least 15 mins. in the refrigerator for the flavors to develop.
- Meanwhile, make the Bloody Mary Ketchup using the olive oil, garlic, Tomato Tarragon Spice Blend, Worcestershire Powder, apple cider vinegar, light brown sugar, tomato paste, and a dash of hot sauce.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, if necessary.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to serve with cooked burgers.
- Heat grill and begin shaping the meat into 9 patties about ¾-inch thick, or 12 patties ½-inch think. Lightly brush each one with oil, then place on a grill over high heat.
- Grill for 3 to 4 mins. on each side or to desired doneness.
- Add cheese to the top of each burger while still cooling, if preferred.
- Add the burger to a bun and smear with Bloody Mary Ketchup. Top with optional toppings. Enjoy!TOAST the buns lightly on the cut side, then top with additional toppings.
- Serve with Mayonnaise, Lettuce leaves, Sliced Tomato, American, or Swiss Cheese.
Grilled Chicken Kabobs courtesy of Whole Foods Market
- 1 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. honey
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. assorted vegetables (zucchini, yellow summer squash, red and green peppers, red onions, cherry tomatoes, button or cremini mushrooms, cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh meat, cut into 1-inch chucks
- In a bowl, whisk together orange juice, oil, lime juice, soy sauce, cumin, honey, garlic, and pepper until well blended to make a marinade.
- Put vegetables in 1 or 2 large resealable plastic bags.
- Put chick in another large resealable plastic bag.
- Divide marinade equally among the bags, seal and refrigerate, turning the bags occasionally, for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat cooking.
- Thread vegetables and chicken onto skewers. If using wooded skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes prior to assembling kabobs.
- Discard marinade.
- Grill, turning often, until chicken is cooked through and slightly charred, about 8 minutes.
Red, White, and Cool Ice Cream Cake courtesy of The Spice & Tea Exchange
- 6 Tbsp. Red Raspberry Sugar– available at The Spice & Tea Exchange
- Baker’s Secret Spice Blend (~60 grinds)- available at The Spice & Tea Exchange
- 1 tsp. Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract– available at The Spice & Tea Exchange
- 1 package Red Velvet Cake Mix (plus ingredients listed on the package)
- 1 package Vanilla Cake Mix (plus ingredients listed on the package)
- 1/2 g gallon Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped (plus additional for garnish)
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 4 oz. whipped cream cheese
- 1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 package fresh blackberries (for garnish)
- Allow ice cream to soften at room temperature.
- Make red velvet cake and vanilla cake mixes per packaging instructions (splitting each box between two 9″ round card cake pans; yielding 4 total cake layers). Allow to cool. Wrap layers in wax paper and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place ice cream in a large mixing bowl. Fold in strawberries, Raspberry Sugar, and Baker’s Secret Spice Blend. Return ice cream mixture to the freezer for 3 hours.
- Add butter, cream cheese, and Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract to a mixing bowl. Beat until blended. Slowly add powdered sugar until the icing has a cream consistency. Refrigerate until needed.
- Thaw ice cream mixture until spreadable. Remove cakes from the freezer. If necessary, use a bread knife to trim cake tops to create flat layers. Begin with one red velvet layer. spread 1 1/2 inch layer of ice cream on top. Add white cake layer. Using a knife, smooth edges of the cake. Return all to the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove all items from the freezer. Thaw ice cream and add 1 1/2 inch layer to cake. Top with remaining red velvet layer and smooth edges. Freeze for 30 minutes or until all layers are set.
- Remove cake from the freezer. Frost the tip with cream cheese icing. Freeze for several hours or overnight.
- Garnish with strawberries and blackberries.
- Thaw approximately 10 minutes before serving.
Rocket Pop Jello Shots courtesy of Delish- Adult Version
For the Blue Layer
- 1/2 cup water, boiled
- 1 box instant blueberry Jell-O
- 1/2 cup vodka
For the Red Layer
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 box instant cherry Jell-O
- 1/2 cup vodka
For the White Layer
- 1 envelope gelatin
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vodka
- In a small, combine boiling water and berry Jell-O mix and stir until completely dissolved. Stir in vodka.
- In a separate small bow, repeat the process with the Cherry Jell-O mix. Let both mixtures cool.
- Meanwhile, make the white layer. In a medium bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup of milk. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring remaining 3/4 cup of milk to a simmer. Turn off the heat and stir in the sugar, vanilla, and vodka.
- Pour heated mixture over plain gelatin mixture and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Lightly spray 20 two ounce plastic shot glasses with cooking spray. Spoon about 1 tablespoon berry Jell-O mixture into each plastic shot glass. Refrigerate until set but not completely firm, about 15 minutes.
- Top with about 1 tablespoon white gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes.
- Cover with about 1 tablespoon cherry Jell-O mixture. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.